Translate

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Easter Tags are Ready and a Vintage Easter Card Image!


Hi! I hope you're having a wonderful day! I've been silent the last couple of days because of some problems on blogger that were preventing many of us from posting. I was thrilled today when they finally got it fixed!

It's been a fairly uneventful week here. Over the weekend we re-visited a college with our son as he makes his final decision about where he'll go in the fall. He's our youngest and our final child to go off to college. It's such an exciting time in his life and I'm incredibly proud of his accomplishments.

At the same time my heart is breaking. I get a lump in my throat when I think of shopping for his college supplies. Gathering the items he'll need as he makes his first steps out of the nest. I'm already dreading the day we move him onto campus and drive off towards home....alone...without him...to our silent, empty house. No more will he rush through the door after school each day, asking for a snack (how I love that time of the day!) No more will I feel the peace of his presence each night as I drift off to sleep, knowing he's safe in his bed. I'll miss everything about having my child near me, but it's the everyday, simple moments families share I will miss the most. Dinnertime conversations, watching a favorite t.v. show together in the evenings, the random silly jokes that come up throughout the day because of something we've read or seen together. Just seeing him on a daily basis. Wow, it's so painful just to think of it, I have no idea how I'm going to get through that day. 

Of course, I want him to go to college. I wouldn't have it any other way. It's just that the time went by so quickly. I wish I could rewind it and have my sweet little boy back. Keep him close to me for a little while longer. I've enjoyed every stage and moment of his childhood, and now that I must let go I feel completely unprepared. Now I need to give him the gift of my support and joy as he spreads his wings and moves into young adulthood. I'm not ready!! I'm not ready!! It hurts too much! I will do this because I love him more than anything, but it's so, so difficult...

I'm going to dry my eyes and move on to cheerful events! I have springtime on the brain these days and have been busy crafting Easter gift cards for my Ebay auctions. They're available now, so your welcome to take a peek if you'd like to. I have also have a vintage Easter image to share with you, courtesy of my Pinterest addicition.


 I adore the soft, gentle colors of this card. The yellowing and signs of wear around the edges make it that much sweeter! Wouldn't this be perfect for a handmade card or tag? There are so many beautiful things on Pinterest that I find it hard to stay away. It's as fun as shopping, only you don't spend a dime. Can it get any better than that?

And now I'm off to do a bit of straightening up. My son feels that putting his laundered and folded clothing on the floor in front of his dresser is an appropriate storage method. I don't mind doing these little things for him. I love everything about being his mom, even the messy parts. I'm going to cry for hours when we move him onto his college campus next fall and that pile of clothing is no longer there for me to pick up. I'm a sad case, I know. Hugs,  
 

3 comments:

  1. Oh you made me cry. It's been 12 years since the first of my sons went off to college. It was difficult to leave him there, but like you, I was excited for all the opportunities he had and the future. I would tear up for a couple years if I was just talking about him. The second has been out for about 6 now and the best times are when I can be with each of them. We're all fortunate to have the internet to send pictures and talk on the phone. It can't replace having them with you in person, but it helps. Best wishes to your son for a bright future and many home visits!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane!
      For some reason I am only just now finding your comment. I'm sorry to be so long in responding.
      I can SO relate to everything you said! Technology and social media make it so easy to stay in touch, but you're right, it is NOT the same thing as being there.
      It's getting a little easier. Patrick returned to Clemson today after fall break and for first time I actually didn't cry. Definite progress! But a couple of weeks ago I missed him so much I actually googled 'what to do when you miss someone.' The Internet told me to get a job- lol!
      I think that as mothers our lives center around our children and they become how we define ourselves. My children are spread wide and far. My oldest daughter is a lawyer and works in Korea.
      I miss them being small, but at the same time I celebrate their success and am proud of them. It's just so hard to be so far from the people we love the most!!! It helps to talk to others, like you, who can truly relate to the feelings of an empty nest. I'm finding the best thing is to stay as busy as possible. Evenings are the worst because that is when we would wind down and hang out together. Wish my sweet boy was here now:-((
      Thank you so much for your sweet note! I know you wrote it almost a year ago but it warmed my heart to read it!
      Hugs,
      Nancy

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete